Monday, May 4, 2009

Oklahoma Writers Conference

I followed the Kansas Writers, Inc annual retreat with the Oklahoma Writers Federation annual conference. This was my first conference. There was a TON of information to learn.

I think the cats feel abandoned. We have traveled three of the past five weekends.

I spent most of the time in classes that teach technique for novel writing. My favorite workshop was on editing, by Robyn Conley, the owner of The Book Doctor. She also taught a class the next day on point of view. The other classes were on women’s fiction, finding your voice, characters, settings and novel structure.

Like most conferences, there was a book room. Part of the room was for published authors. They could sell their books and were available to sign them. There were also books about the craft of writing. I purchased a book called Write History Right by M.H. Collins; American Slang, by Kipfer and Chapman; and Be Your Own Book Doctor, by Robyn Conley.

What is the next step? I need to find wall space in the house to put up an outline of the book. While I know what my plot is, I need to sharpen it. I also need to clarify what it is that my character wants so I know how to stress her. We had fun re-writing Jack and Jill. It was interesting to see how many versions people could come up with.