Monday, May 11, 2009

Healthy for twenty minutes




Here are the new garden beds and the new greenhouse. There is still work to be done on the inside of the greenhouse, but we were able to use it in time for gardening season. We purchased two yards of composted soil from a greenhouse, but they delivered top soil. We seem to be stuck with that, but we started with worse soil fifteen years ago and we know how to fix it.


The Shawnee County Master Gardeners had their first annual plant sale. We bought petunias, portulaca, and marigolds. This will their annual fundraiser.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my annual physical. The doctor pronounced me healthy as a horse. Yes, he knows I am a farrier. At least he doesn't sing 'The Old Grey Mare' when he sees me. It takes about twenty minutes to drive back home from his office. When I got home, I walked from the car to the garden and promptly stepped in a mole hole that I didn't know we had. I fell down, twisted my ankle, wrenched my back, landed on my knee and jarred my shoulder when I put my hand out to stop the fall.

The next week, while at a barn shoeing, I went to the car for a cold bottle of water. I turned away from the car to walk back to the barn while I was closing the car door. I didn't time this right and closed the car door on my face. My left jaw line to be more precise. I now have a wonderful black and blue and swollen cheek. Tom keeps checking to see if I have two left feet or if I am just putting my shoes on the wrong feet. He is also glad that he has plausible deniability and was out of the county working each time that I injured myself! And you thought horseshoeing was dangerous.